Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Wayne Rooney hits out at Moyes


It seems that Rooney has decided to showcase a bit of his literary genius besides soccer skills in his autobiography. By signing a £5m five-book deal with publisher HarperCollins, this will be one of the biggest in publishing history. The first volume - up to and including this year's World Cup - is due to hit bookshelves soon. The follow-up books - over the next 12 years - will cover the rest of Rooney's playing career.

In case anybody isn't aware, Rooney made his mark at Goodison Park as their youngest player but joined United in 2004 for around £25 million ($46.30 million). He rose to fame quickly while at Everton and made his first-team debut as a 16-year-old in 2002. Just a few days shy of his 17-year-old birthday, he netted a superb match-winner against Arsenal and became the youngest goal-scorer (record belongs to James Milner now).

Everton manager will not be too pleased to know that Rooney has spilled the beans on their unhappy relationship which he blamed for his hastened departure to Manchester United. 'I would have gone almost anywhere just to get away from David Moyes. If no-one had come in I would have joined Newcastle,' Rooney wrote in My Story So Far, serialised in the Daily Mail.

'To me he appeared overbearing; just wanting to control people. I suppose being young and confident and playing for England at 17, I wasn't bothered about upsetting him or answering back.'

That is not all as he went on to accuse Moyes of being unsupportive of his superstardom. 'There was only one person who seemed a bit upset and envious of what was happening to me - and that was Moyes,' said Rooney.

Now, now Rooney, Soccer Pundit is sure that overbearing is also a trait which Alex Ferguson is known for and it will be surprising if you haven't found that out yet. If Rooney can't stand Moyes controlling people, then it would be hard to imagine him tolerating life at Manchester United. The attempts by Ferguson to stop Rooney from featuring in the World Cup would also have caused much frustration to him but Soccer Pundit believes Rooney does know where to draw the line where unsavory comments go.

As this is only phase one of his autobiography currently available for public consumption, there could be more explosive details in later parts. Rooney mentioned something about the "surprises". "I'm excited about this deal, it's a big thing for me. Hopefully, there will be lots of things to read about," he said. "I'll be talking about my life in football and other things as well. There will be a few surprises in there.

"It's something I wanted to do. I've been playing football now for just under four years and I think it will be good for people to see the other side of me and hear things from me for once. "When they talk to me, people say, 'I didn't expect you to be how you are.' "Hopefully I can put that across to people. They think I'm a different person to what I am. I'm just a normal young lad who plays football."

He also gave accounts of his gambling addiction, relationship with his fiancé Coleen McLoughlin as well as the Carvalho's incident where he embedded his studs in his genitals. From the little snippets we have seen so far, it appears that Rooney is not as much of a potato-head as what many people believe him to be. Definitely he has shown some maturity in his thoughts which is a good thing and if he could just control his temper on the pitch, then he should be able to gain more respect as a football star.

Hmm, by the way, Soccer Pundit wonders how will Ashley Cole feel when Rooney's book outsold his own?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. I'm very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.'
- Bill Shankly